Sunday, June 3, 2012

Grandman Triathlon - Fairhope, Alabama

The morning began quite early. 

Sleeping on the eve of a race is really overrated. My alarm was set to wake me up at 4am but as you can see I was ready to go before then.  Time for a big breakfast of oatmeal and eggs to get the day started. 


Aaron left the house at 5:00 A.M. headed to Fairhope to get his numbers painted on and put all of his equipment in the transition area.  I left about an hour later, met Paige, and off we went to Fairhope, cameras in hand to document the "GRANDMAN - TRIATHLON". (Aaron will you give the captions under the pictures)
All the bikes lined up and ready to go. I had to get my transition area set up and then remember where it was.  We arrived  about an hour before the race start. This gave us plenty of time to set up, get numbered, warm up and of course practice finding my transition area. I get a little turned around coming off the swim so I always make sure I practice finding my bike. 

The Mobile Bay was ready for us but I still wasn't sure if I was ready for this swim.  I took a few minutes to take it all in and get use to the temperature of the water. 



If look close you can see me behind the shirtless and nameless man. Just getting out of the water and believe me I was glad that was over. Now time for the bike! My favorite of the three events.



Yep that's me behind the volunteer's arm. Out of transition 1 (T1)  and headed for a bike ride!

On the bike and time to start the climb. The beginning of the bike starts straight up and for a bigger guy like myself that can be a challenge. (That's me in the middle with red and black jersey.)

Here is my friend Brad Hill getting out of T1. Big kudos to Brad, this is his first Triathlon and in the process of training he has lost 50 lbs.

Off the bike and on to a 5K. I finished the bike with an average pace of 20mph which I was very pleased with.  Going to keep working on holding a fast pace and still be able to run strong. 

Just like the bike you start with an uphill battle. This was hardest part of the race for me. I was feeling pretty spent going up the hill but I just kept my pace and made it to the top. After that I was feeling much better.

1 mile to go and still holding my pace of a 9 minute mile. The race is a little deceiving on this turn because at this point I can see the finish line.   I actually ended up looping around before coming to the finish line.


Almost Done!!!
Here is Laura waiting for me at the finish with a big smile. Thanks for all the support!

Brad and I both had a great time. We are all finished and packed up.
So at the end of that day that started so early we were all still smiling. I finished the race in 1:39.08, which I am very happy with. I am planning on completing another triathlon this summer after our move to Wake Forest.  It is called the Smile Train Sprint Triathlon and is held in the city of Wake Forst, NC.



No comments:

Post a Comment