Sunday, May 12, 2013

Birthday Week

So my birthday was Tuesday and it was a milestone of a birthday.  The big 3-0.  That's right I turned 30, although I must say I don't feel any different than I did at 29.  In our home we like to have a week long celebration so here we go.

Tuesday, I had to be at school extra early for a staff meeting (always fun on your birthday).  After getting out of the shower I smelled something wonderful coming from the kitchen.  Aaron made me breakfast, waffles and fresh strawberries.  Delicious!!!

Birthday Breakfast
The only people at school that knew it was my birthday were my students, and boy did they make me feel special all day long.  When I changed the calendar over to May I put my birthday on the calendar, all of the kids were super excited and reminded me daily of when my birthday was.  We had a fantastic day!
Sweet Birthday cards and presents from my students.

During the staff meeting I was awarded the "Staff of the Month" Award, which also happen to fall on my birthday.  Pretty nice surprise if I do say so myself.

After a long day at work, Aaron and I headed to Chick-fil-A for dinner.  You see it was also Teacher Appreciate week and Chick-Fil-A was honoring all teachers (on my birthday) by giving them a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich.  I love Chick-Fil-A, a great giveaway, and it was my birthday.  Excellent dinner with my favorite dinner date.

Once Aaron and I got home, the real fun began.  I opened my presents: Les Miserables, a pedicure gift certificate, and a sweet hand written note.  Aaron did such an amazing job.  I am so looking forward to getting my toes done and watching a FANTASTIC movie, maybe I'll sing a long this time.

Then the real birthday fun began.  You see as long as I can remember I have had a banana cake with seven minute frosting for my birthday.  I am not really sure how the tradition started but I love it.  I am not sure that my friends were always excited about the cake but I sure was.  So when my birthday came around I told Aaron that's what I wanted and I would get the recipe from my mama.  Well my sweetie of a husband decided he was going to make the cake for me (of course I didn't know this at the time).  He talked to my mama, got the recipe, read it, and then determined he wasn't sure he could make it by himself.  He told me all of this Monday, so Tuesday, I sat at the kitchen table and read the instructions to him, while he made the ENTIRE cake and frosting BY HIMSELF.  I was simply there for moral support.  He had a fantastic job.  And it tasted just like I remembered.

The cake fresh out of the oven.  The house smelled heavenly.

Frosting the cake.  We had to be super creative because you make the icing in a double boiler and we didn't have one.  No problems, Pinterest had a solution for that, DIY double boiler.

Finished cake, looks so yummy!!!

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

A nice slice of banana cake. 

Wednesday, we had small group and look what my dear friend surprised me with, an ombre' cake.  Oh my stars, it was so moist and the icing was AMAZING!!!  I wish I had taken a picture of the inside.  It was a four layer cake and each layer was a different shade of pink as well.

Ombre' Cake made my the very talented Elizabeth Sirven.
 Thursday - special mail
Sweet and funny birthday cards from the siblings and Granny and Pop.
Loved my card from my parents.  Aaron's comment: "That looks just like your mom and dad, and wait you too."  The wonders of Hallmark's Card Studio program. 

Friday - Granny sent me birthday money with instructions to go out to eat, so who could refuse.  It had been a long week at school so not having to fix anything for dinner sounded like a grand plan to me.  Off we went to eat Moe's and enjoy some ice cream from ColdStone (thanks mama and daddy)

Saturday - I spent most of the day cleaning and doing laundry, normal Saturday events.  It was quite a relaxing day, Aaron studied and I cleaned.  Aaron had to leave early for church because he was playing, I would follow later, and then we would both head to Jaye and Aimee's for dinner.  Great plan and nothing strange about that at all.  So after church we head to Jaye and Aimee's for dinner but we weren't having dinner with just them.  Oh no, our entire small group had gotten together and thrown me a surprise birthday party.  So many secret conversations, text messages, secret emails with a special code, special menu items just for me, a cake change after I told Aaron I only liked banana cake once a year and I didn't know anything.  It was fantastic.
 I can't even express how loved I feel, knowing that after Aaron sent out one email telling everyone his plan, friends just took the idea and ran with it.  They spent time and effort to make me feel special.  There is no better gift than that, my love tank is overflowing.

All the yummy food and cake, Chocolate and Peanut Butter .  Delicious!

More yummy food.  Why yes those are cucumber sandwiches.  Thank you Aimee for making them for me.  They are one of my favorite summer time treats.  All the lovely decorations were done by my dear friend Elizabeth.

Some of my sweet friends enjoying each other's company and eating delicious food.

Thanks Aimee for capturing more photos of the evening.  It was spectacular!

 

So that's my birthday week!  Looking forward to what the year holds.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment