Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sweet Family Time

 Last Sunday, I received a phone call from my Daddy, informing me that my "Pop" had passed away after a long battle with Alzheimer's.  With the help of my Uncle Barry and Daddy, plane tickets were purchased and Aaron and I got packed and ready for an early flight on Monday morning.  Aaron and I were so blessed by the many friends who prayed for us during this time.  Thankful for sweet friends who drove us to the airport, picked up us, made sure that Gracie was fed and wrote lesson plans so I didn't have to worry about a thing.

Sitting in the RDU airport, waiting to board our first plane to Atlanta.

Bravely looking out the window to take a picture.

This is what Raleigh looks like from the air.

My delicious snack.
Ginger Ale really helped to settle my stomach.

Made it to Atlanta, ready to board the plane for our 25 minute flight to Birmingham.



Rachel picked us up from the airport and we enjoyed a tasty Alabama treat, Milo's.

Enjoying a little British Programing
Downton Abbey and Dr. Who
Apparently Aaron and Rachel have a lot more in common than I realized.

After a very relaxing afternoon, we headed to Granny's house for a dinner provided by her neighbors.  I am so thankful for the loving community that Granny and Pop live in, watching neighbors take care of us (the family) was amazing.  It was also nice to have everyone under one roof for the first time in several years.

Chatting in the living room.
Family time is so precious.

Chatting in the kitchen
 Tuesday morning came bright and early.  Rachel, Aaron, and I headed to the funeral home for visitation and the funeral.  Before I go any further, know that Pop was a Christian, so while he is no longer here on earth, I know that I will one day see him again in Heaven, which seemed to make the day a bit sweeter.  Yes there were many moments when I was saddened because there will be things that I will miss, but I had to remind myself that because Jesus took my place, Pop's place, and anyone else who believes, I can face tomorrow... Because He Lives.  Once again the out pour of the community, was enough to make anyone smile.  There was so many friends of Granny and Pop, who simply came to be a support and tell Granny how much they loved her (as well as the rest of us).  After a while I just sat down and watched one person after another share the connection they had with Granny and Pop.  And oh how sweet to see family friends, extended family, Daddy's co-workers and boss, and Bro. Rusty come to simply give us a hug and chat.  The service was touching and extremely personal.  After the service we headed back to Granny and Pop's  to eat a delicious lunch prepared by their Sunday School Class.  They took care of every need and made sure we all had EVERYTHING we needed, and most importantly made sure that Granny ate and didn't worry about a thing.  So thankful for the friends that will come alongside Granny and encourage her, whenever she needs it.

My daddy put together a slide show of pictures of Pop, that played during visitation.  It was fun to watch the pictures play over and over and just remember.
*I remember getting up before everyone else to eat breakfast with Pop before he would head to work.
*I remember there always being gospel music or some type of hymn being played from the stereo.
*I remember fig preserves, pear preserves, and strawberries over biscuits.
*I remember cracking pecans on the screened in back porch.
*I remember Pop's love for sweets.  He always had room for some dessert after a meal.
*I remember Pop always having a comb in his shirt pocket, I guess to make sure his hair was always in place.
*I remember getting cards in the mail (during college and after) with money in them, so I could go buy myself a hamburger.
*I remember always getting a phone call on my birthday with Granny and Pop singing Happy Birthday.  I guess that is where that tradition started.
*I remember Pop loving Granny and always taking care of her.
*I remember Pop giving the best hugs, he would always hug you really tight.
*I remember a man who loved to have his family near him, for whatever the occasion.



"Pop" from Aaron Turner on Vimeo.


Around 5:00, we said our good byes and headed back to Rachel's to change clothes and then drove to Hueytown.  We enjoyed a delightful meal with Adam and Sybil and I finally got to meet Lily, the cat.

Lily is a sweetheart, with a lot to say.

Black Bean Burger and chips and cheese dip from Speedy's.
Wednesday morning came extremely early and we started our trek back home.  Even though the landing was a little rough on my motion sickness, it was so much better than being in a car for 9 1/2 hours.  Even though the circumstances were not ideal, I am very grateful I was able to have an unexpected visit with my family.

Flying the Friendly Skies

Aaron checking out the "cool" items in the Sky Mall catalog.

Almost Home and looking a little weary.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, friend! I didn't know about your Pop. So sorry for your loss. Love you!

    ReplyDelete